Hythe, in the District of Shepway, is one of the five original Cinque Ports (pronounced sink, as in Norman French) on the “Garden Coast” in South Kent, on a broad bay of the English Channel, four miles from the Channel Tunnel, four miles west of the cross-channel port of Folkestone and 16 miles south west of Dover.
A wide promenade overlooks a long stretch of beach, and over the English channel to France and it is ideal for a summer picnic and safe bathing. From the seafront the town is on level ground, most of the immediate area is residential, but a five-minute stroll along Stade Street brings you to the Royal Military canal. This was dug during the Napoleonic era (1804-15) as a defensive measure against possible French invasion.
The town spreads up the hillside in a pleasing jumble of little streets, containing many interesting historic buildings. At the foot of the hill is the old and narrow High Street. It is the main shopping area and it’s history dates back many centuries. This can easily be seen by observing the variety of architectural styles of neighbouring buildings. Half way up the hill stands the dominating figure of the 11th century Parish Church, with its famous crypt and ossuary (vaults containing the bones of early settlers).
The town and immediate neighbourhood contain many first class facilities for recreation. Golf, tennis, riding, bowls, squash, boating, windsurfing, freshwater and sea angling, and bathing in the local indoor heated pools or the sea are all available. The Royal Military Canal’s banks provide many delightful walks, as does the varied local countryside.